Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 II (H-H020A) - Banding

Started Aug 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 13,259
Re: Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 II (H-H020A) - Banding

tsi wrote:

s_grins wrote:

Believe me, all proponents of the theory that lens can contribute to banding use this word "apparently" more than any other

Anders W is right. The lens is part of the problem.

Months ago, I did some tests with the E-PM2 and my old 20/1.7.

Old Panasonic 20mm f1.7. Counterclockwise 10-flex, 4x4-flex, 4-flex, 6-flex

There are 4 flex wires. If my memories are right, the 10 wire flex drives the aperture motor. The 4x4 wire flex and the 4 wire flex are both needed for autofocus to work. I am not sure about the function of the 6 wire flex on the 8 pin connector. One configuration showed strange vignetting effects. This is most likely related to removing the 6 wire flex.

If one or more of the flex wires are removed, the lens continues to operate but the related function (Aperture / Focus) does not work any more.

When the aperture flex and both focus flex wires are removed, the banding is gone and you end up with a clean image. The lens is operating, just without aperture and focus control.

When the aperture flex is connected and both focus flex disconnected, one can still see a very characteristic banding pattern which changes with the aperture setting.[1] As expected, this characteristic pattern is not visible on any image taken with disconnected aperture flex.

When the 4x4 focus flex is connected, (10 wire and 4 wire flex removed), there is usually a regular banding pattern visible over the entire image area.

Apparently, the lens does contribute to banding.

No, buddy. I'm right

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51942517

As you see, there are no coils, inductivity, all other proven BS. Now, you try to blame flex fires. All lenses have these wires. Stop pouring apparent BS.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
tsi
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow