Flimsy E-P5 flash already coming apart

Started Aug 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
grey0135 Regular Member • Posts: 223
Flimsy E-P5 flash already coming apart

I've been generally delighted with the image quality and build quality of the E-P5, except for the flash. I find it amazing that the thing comes out so easily and is so flimsy, considering that the build quality of the rest of the camera is so good--better than the OM-D, in my opinion.

I've been very careful with the camera--no drops, I always use a case, and fewer than 500 shutter releases. The flash does pop up very easily (even when the camera is off--Olympus really should have used a switch rather than a button to control the flash release), but as far as I'm aware, it actually hasn't popped open by itself in the case.

Having said all that, I do like having the built in flash. Really useful for both fill flash (outdoors) and slow-sync (indoors). Just wish they had implemented it better. Hopefully, the problem I'e had with my camera is just an outlier.

Here are a few photos:

As you can see, the left edge of the top of the flash is loose and looks like it may come off.

Another view, with the flash down. The flash should be completely flat, but because the top of the lash is loose, the left part is sticking up.

All in all, very disappointing. I'm leaving for a two week trip along the Danube, so I don't have time to send it in for warranty repair until I get back.

Does anyone have any experience with Olympus warranties? How prompt is the service? Is it pretty straightforward?

-- hide signature --

RV Abbott

Olympus PEN E-P5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow