Why is printing the de facto standard?

Started Aug 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
The Sage Knows Senior Member • Posts: 1,103
Re: Why is printing the de facto standard?

Erik Magnuson wrote:

The Sage Knows wrote:

Erik Magnuson wrote:

I gave you a DECtape of images, what would you say the burden would be to read it?

If during your lifetime, when the devices were readily available, you never bothered to take a minute to convert whatever format your tape contained to jpegs , then that tells me they weren't important enough for you so I won't bother with them either.

The scenario is I died 40 years ago. DECtape was new/current when I chose it. How many sata or USB interfaces will computers have 40 years from now?

DECtape was never the most popular medium in the world for storing photographs as jpeg is today. If it were, you bet there would be converters available from B&H right now that could "scan" them and save to a format readable by current devices.

JPEG is pretty well documented and that documentation likely to stick around, but can you code a JPEG decoder? You might have reference code, but it's in a DEC specific dialect of FORTRAN IV. (I'm assuming that's what they'll think of C in 50 years.)

Irrelevant. When the jpeg standard for photographic images transitions into something else around let's say 2060, there will be converters to do the job the same way Lightroom converts todays JPGs, TFFs, PSDs, PSBs, PDFs, etc. with the click of a mouse.

Does light room handle Targa format?

No but that other easy to find program called Photoshop seems to be able to read and write Targa just fine.

How about xwd bitmaps? You can find converters for these formats, but it begins to get more obscure. Heck, light room cannot even handle all versions of JPEG correctly (there are some legal 8-bit greyscale variants it doesnt handle)

Why bring up obscure file formats that were never popular standards for saving photographs? It is irrelevant to the discussion!

On the other hand, there has to be BILLIONS of JPEG images stored around the world. Every consumer and professional camera saves to that format. When something else begins to eclipse it on the market, rest assured that there will be software (Lightroom 14?) that will readily take an entire catalog of jpegs and in two mouse clicks export them to that future standard format saved onto a future standard storage device good for another decade or more of viewing.

Good luck and enjoy your prints. I do enjoy mine!

-- hide signature --

Erik

-- hide signature --

Robert

-- hide signature --

Erik

-- hide signature --

Robert

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Rob
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow