Why is printing the de facto standard?

Started Aug 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
olliess Senior Member • Posts: 1,349
Re: Why is printing the de facto standard?

Mark Smith wrote:

olliess wrote:

Mark Smith wrote:

If I die all the electronic stuff will die with me, the albums will be picked up by future generations who will have instant connection with the past.

Given the chance the print will survive being forgotten and re-found with low tech acccess, something not possible with digital files.

I think this is slowly going to change. In addition to going through our grandparents'/parents' garages and attics after they pass away, we'll now be sifting through their "digital" garages as well.

I don't think we'll have problem accessing something as ubiquitous as a jpg file 50 years from now.

Not a jpeg as a format, what it will be contained in/on is the issue. Also how would you know what is contained on that JAZ drive in 2065? how would you access or even know about it?

I'll tell you what will happen in 50 years and it'll be very similar to what happens now. Someone will find an old disk, they might not know what is on it, if it has deteriorated etc.

scorrpio makes the point in more detail in an earlier reply to you, but basically the way I see it is this this:

If in 2065 my descendants in find a Jaz disk in my basement along with a bunch of old prints on archival paper, ALL of the above will probably be deteriorated. If by some miracle everything has been stored in a climate-controlled vault, the prints will probably be okay, the Jaz disk probably not.

What I hope they'll find, though, is not some orphaned Jaz disk in my physical basement, but some physical or networked storage containing all the stuff I decided to keep over the years. Maybe it will be 3D holocrystals or a link to my own private patch of subspace, but the point is, it will be whatever I took with me through all my digital "moves."

The sifting will still be there, though. It's only 2013 and my own "digital basement" is already getting pretty full of stuff that I haven't looked at in years and probably don't remember exists.

Find an old HD from a 1984 Mac and get the data off, harder than you think.

The strength of paper is you can just hold it in your hand and see it, you're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think in 50 years you'll just put a DVD in your PC or attach a USB to look at those 'ubiquitous' jpegs

I don't really archive stuff I consider important (solely) on DVDs and USB keys, and you probably shouldn't either.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Rob
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow