Why is printing the de facto standard?

Started Aug 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 12,665
Re: Why is printing the de facto standard?

I had a large print made of a razor sharp file from my D800e the other day for the first time in a while and was quite disappointed with the lack of impact compared to my 1080p screen.  There was no more of the allegedly superior detail and the dynamic range had disappeared altogether. It got put away and will most likely never see the light of day again.

I've always liked a slideshow better, and I believe I am in the overwhelming majority.  Years ago, we trotted out the rickety, wrinkly screen, fired up the Carousel projector, hoping it made it all the way through the show and had a great time looking at bright, colorful, impactful slides. Print could never come close to that kind of slam, and obviously still doesn't. A large 4K panel is the next great thing for photo display, and is the new generation of slide show presentation. Some of you are stuck in the print paradigm and don't want to know that and will probably not go down to the store and plug into the side of the 65" 4K TV and will miss out. Too bad for you, because it will rock your concept of what is possible in the way two dimensional recreation of reality. With 4K, we're getting somewhere near the lack of granularity as seen by the human eye.  8K will probably seal the deal once and for all.  You think you've seen red green and blue on a print or a 1080p screen?  Unh unh.  It's a whole new world out there, and it's coming fast. We've already hit the magic $1000 price point for a 50" 4K, with lots more on the way. Prints are fine if you have the wall space, so stipulated.

Now, a lot of you are saying to yourselves: "What's the big deal about 1080p or even 4K when print still has better resolution?" The same ones who are on the forums, looking at pics and commenting "geez, Fred, that one was so sharp I almost cut myself," etc. while viewing pics at 1080p. If you can't see the difference on a 1080p screen between a 6MP camera and a 24MP one you're in the wrong hobby.

As a further heresy, I would add that mixing in 4K video in your slide show would liven things up considerably.

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Rob
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow