New Laptop - Touchscreen Y/N?
Looking to build a new photo editing PC this week, and thought it might be time to invest in a new laptop *as well* since they are both about 5 years old and barely chugging along. (Just to clarify, I am talking about 2 systems here, one tower photo editing box which is already spec'ed and ready to go, and now I am *ALSO* talking about a new laptop in addition to the photo editing box.)
The photo editing box I am good with, but I wanted to ask a few questions about the laptop and see what some of the opinions are around here. The laptop will be more of a surfing the Internet, doing letters/spreadsheets, etc. than photo editing, but I might do an occasional edit here and there, especially while on vacation or something. All the heavy lifting will be done by the new photo editing box (floor tower).
- I was considering getting a touchscreen since it seems that the world is heading that way. I have an iPad and an Android tablet, plus an Android smartphone, so I am getting used to the touchscreen paradigm, and have several times tried touching the screen on my current laptop in the last week or so out of sheer habit! Should I be concerned about screen resolution? Anyone else considering or already own a touch screen laptop?
- Windows 8 seems to be the software platform that all of the new laptops are shipping with. I have played with it quite a bit, so I am not concerned about the interface (that is another topic, and has been discussed to death). Are there any compatibility issues with Photoshop, Lightroom or any plugins?
- I'd love an i7 with 8 GB RAM, but those seem to be rarer than I expected and it seems like the i5's with 4GB of RAM are dominating this market. Am I crazy here? Since I am going to have the photo editing box as well, I am wondering if I should just get an i5 laptop and be done with it. Any comments here?
Any comments and advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Flower in flower by atdigit|
from Random Items Challenge 26
|Surface tension by atdigit|
from Right in the middle
|A Normal Dat at Thomas's Clap 2016-9379 by Andrew Maltzoff|
from Show us SCHOOL!