Why is printing the de facto standard?

Started Aug 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
IceShot Regular Member • Posts: 135
Re: Nothing digital is 'de facto'

lenshoarder wrote:

Ubilam wrote:

But, viewing all your images via computer or TV screens is not always showing whether your images are good. I've got 3 different comp monitors and one image looks different on all 3. I think you're lazy and just don't want to be bothered to print your pics.

-- hide signature --

"Hey, don't blame me."

That's funny, on the rare occasions I try to print, the same image looks different on every printer I use to print with. Maybe I should try calibrating my printers like you should try calibrating your monitors so they show the same image.

The reality is that printing is from a bygone era. Yes some people still print. Some people make money by selling prints. The vast majority of people take pictures that will never see paper. Much like newspapers and writing paper checks is on the decline, so is printing. Whenever people say such and such is good enough for a 8x10 print so who needs more. I just tune it out. That's old school static viewing. Today viewing is more dynamic and interactive. People zoom in and scroll around. Technology removed many limits to how a photo can be viewed, the limit now is what's between your ears.

Exactly. I'm looking for whether or not if I take a picture, and crop it in half, will it still be good enough to display on a 55" 4K tv or something.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow