Panasonic Nocticron v. Olympus 75mm

Started Aug 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,756
Re: Panasonic Nocticron 42.5 vs. Olympus 45mm vs. Voigtländer 42.5

toporossa wrote:

I make plans to buy things that I don’t necessarily have all the information for quite frequently. As more information becomes available those plans may change or get cancelled. I don’t see this as terribly unusual, nor why it is something that you should care about.

Why do I want the Nocticron?

I’m shooting handheld while moving around, in very low light, with no option to use flash and (mostly) with subjects that are not static. An extra stop over the 45mm f/1.8 is the difference between acceptable shutter speeds and having to shoot at unacceptably noisy ISO settings. It’d be nice to tackle some of these situations with lighter, smaller, MFT gear instead of full-frame bodies and heavy lenses.

MORE DoF would be nice in those situations, requiring much better high-ISO capabilities, but that requires improvements in sensor technology that we're not likely to see any time soon.

That the 45mm f/1.8 will undoubtedly be significantly cheaper is immaterial; it won’t get the job done for me without unacceptable compromise and consequently is irrelevant for my current needs at any price.

Exactly.

You have your reasons, I didn't really doubt it. I just found it a little bit arrogant - and still find it - to say you have good reasons, others don't.

For the same reasons that toporossa laid out, I'm planning to get the Voigtländer Nokton 42.5mm f0.95… shooting in low light, handheld, NO flash, keeping the ISO as low as possible, while keeping the shutter speed as high as possible. It's simply much more difficult to shoot that way using slower lenses. An f1.8 lens, regardless of how good it may be, simply won't cut it. There's no arrogance in that.

As for my choice of the Nokton 42.5mm over the Nocticron? I simply prefer manual lenses over AF… the feel and the process. Also, Voigtländers render beautifully. There's just something about the images I've managed to produce with the them.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow