How fast an aperture is required to capture shooting stars?

Started Aug 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SenorBeef Regular Member • Posts: 285
How fast an aperture is required to capture shooting stars?

I'm planning on going somewhere dark and scenic for the perseids. My plan is to try to capture a shooting star against a cool mountainous backdrop. So I'll experiment with using bulb and a remote control to capture a shooting star. But unfortunately I'm short on fast lenses - I have a kit lens with f3.5 at 18mm and a 50mm 1.7 lens.

I'd prefer to use 18mm, both because I could get a wider landscape shot that's more in line with how I want to frame it, but are shooting stars generally bright even to even register as a coherent part of an image at F/3.5? Or should I use my 50 at 1.7 or 2 and use hope I get lucky enough to catch a shooting star across its narrower field of view?

I have a K5, so high iso is an option, but long exposure high iso shots take on kind of yellow cast that I try to avoid, not sure why. I guess I can try to fix it in post.

SenorBeef's gear list:SenorBeef's gear list
Pentax K-70
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow