Sorry to burst bubbles about GX7, but...

Started Aug 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
grey0135 Regular Member • Posts: 223
Re: EM-5 is still selling well at full prices

dougjgreen1 wrote:

NevilN wrote:

grey0135 wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

grey0135 wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

alcelc wrote:

Manip16 wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

Manip16 wrote:

5. If history repeats itself, those who are patient will may very well be able to buy the GX7 for less than $500 within a year. It took less time than that before the G5 was on sale for half price.

Right, and the GX8 for $500 a year after that, and GX9 for $500 a year after that, etc... This is how all new cameras/technology works. If you don't want to see diminishing returns on your purchases then either buy second hand, buy after much of the depreciation has taken place, or don't sell your camera ever.

The E-M5 is more than a year old, I thin almost a year and a half, and it's still the same price.

This is because Panasonic specifically has the philosophy of putting a price tag on its new cameras that's too high relative to its value, because they figure some suckers will bite and they will have a windfall from them.

Only if you buy it new. Second hand it has gone down quite a bit in that time. A company can charge whatever they want for a new camera, doesn't mean anyone is buying an OM-D today for £950 or your regional equivalent.

Dear sigala 1, while people are prettying at me to have paid US$650 for GX1X with VSF2 2 weeks ago (already new bottom price in where I live), OMD with kit lens indeed is selling just around US$1,200 (>30% discount from its initial offering if my memory is right) now on high street for brand new one. While an upgrade model is out, I could see more deep discount here.

Above all, the low price of MFT is simply a blessing to you because of where you are.

The current price at Amazon.com U.S. for the E-M5 plus the 12-50mm lens is still $1299.

That's actually MORE expensive then when I bought it new when it first came out, because for that price I got a free 4/3 to m43 converter that normally costs $100.

In theory, but I can't imagine anyone's buying new OM-D's at retail values, with all the new cameras coming out. Just a quick search on Craigslist or Amazon or Ebay will show you that you can buy a used OM-D body for $700 or so. In fact, I'm about to go on a big trip, so I just bought a backup body for $650 on Craigslist.

-- hide signature --

RVA

The majority of sales are at the prices being asked for it at Amazon.com or B&H Photo.

I'm not so sure. The sales figures aren't very high--nothing like they were when the camera came out. And the fact of the matter is, few people haphazardly choose to buy a micro four thirds camera (if anything, the default for those who don't want to do any research is canon or nikon). And it doesn't take much effort to figure out that you can buy used or refurb for hundreds less than the Amazon asking price. And this has been the case for several months now. The OM-D price started dropping once the E-P5 was officially announced. I know, because I was interested in the E-P5, so I was regularly comparing prices.

The official asking price at retailers usually lags behind the price of what the market is willing to bear. But not for long. I wouldn't be surprised to see price drops on Amazon within the next few months, especially in light of all the new announcements.

-- hide signature --

RV Abbott

If you check amazon.com now for compact system cameras sales ranking for new or latest m43 models (of their respective model lines) NOW, 1st and 2nd is GX7, not surprising since it is newly announced. 3rd and 4th places are EM-5 kit and EM-5 body at full 1299 and 999 prices.

Maybe in units, but for sure not in dollars. Keep in mind that for a camera you can actually buy today, the OMD sells for 3-4 times what a G5 sells for.

I see that OM-D prices have just started to really fall in the last month. You can get a refurb WITH warranty for $750 including the 14-42 kit lens, or $950 with the 12-50 lens. You can now get clean used OM-D bodies for $600 or so.

In fact, to follow up my previous post, the Olympus is already adjusting to the reality that it's cameras are overvalued by dropping prices.  I expect more to come.  As I mentioned earlier, the official retail price usually lags behind the price of what the market is willing to bear.

http://www.43rumors.com/suprise-olympus-price-drop-on-the-e-p5-and-up-to-150-savings-on-all-olympus-cameras-and-lenses/

-- hide signature --

RV Abbott

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
LWW
MT
Niq
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow