Planning to switch from D800 to 5DIII Locked

Started Aug 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Keith Z Leonard Veteran Member • Posts: 5,989
Re: L vs EF

Generally the Sigma is regarded as a better lens than the Canon 50 f1.4.  Some reviews state that it's sharper wide open, especially in the center, and the Canon wins stopped down, that's true enough.  The Sigma AF is nice and quick and silent.  I own this lens and it's probably my most fun lens to use right at the moment.  I did send mine in for calibration for my 7D, my 5D3 has been quite good with it, I'd say better than the 7D was.

A popular thing to do seems to be to try one, and if it doesn't work return it and try 3 more, then complain about quality assurance.  If it isn't working on your camera that means it needs adjusted to your camera's PDAF, seems silly to me to keep blindly buying them in hopes that one will be properly calibrated at random.  I do wish they'd reissue this lens as part of the Art line though, so that people could calibrate them at home.

In the end I think the only real problem with the Canon 50 f1.4 is the micro-USM which is prone to breaking.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 400D +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow