Camerasize.com comparison: GX7, E-P5, NEX6, X-E1

Started Aug 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 23,704
Re: Well...

Great Bustard wrote:

TrapperJohn wrote:

For all the fuss that's made over APS... just looking at those bodies lined up, and looking at the sensors that are clearly visible... APS isn't that much larger.

I am painfully aware of the specs on both, hear it on a regular basis.

But I look at that comparison, look at the photos that result, and have to think Shakespeare - much ado about nothing.

...the difference in sensor size between APS-C mirrorless and mFT is 2/3 of a stop, so if 2/3 of a stop "isn't that much larger" then, yes, you are correct.

Of course, when you start putting lenses on those bodies, as most of us tend to do, that smaller sensor sure has a lot more good, small, native glass.

For sure, there are some outstanding lenses for mFT that may very well outperform many of the selections available for APS-C. However, a good comparison might be the Olympus 45 / 1.8 against the Sony 50 / 1.8 OSS:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Lenses/Compare-Camera-Lenses/Compare-lenses/(lens1)/532/(brand)/Olympus/(camera1)/0/(lens2)/745/(brand2)/Sony/(camera2)/0

and, at least in that one particular comparison, it seems that NEX is doing OK against mFT.

I have the E50/1.8 and it's an excellent lens. It actually better than this DXO review because it was tested on the NEX-7, (a problematic camera for lens-testing.) In reality, tested on the newer NEX cameras, it would test as well as the Olympus 75.

There are a number of other great NEX lenses. The spin of M43 lens superiority over NEX is ancient history. But I wish there was a NEX equivalent for my 14/2.5 or 20/1.7.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Google Nexus 5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow