Planning to switch from D800 to 5DIII Locked

Started Aug 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
joema1 Contributing Member • Posts: 578
Re: Planning to switch from D800 to 5DIII

iseeu wrote:

Thanks alot for all the info you wrote here, really good input for me in learning this new system. Comparing the Tamron 24 with Canon 24-70 II how much different in image quality?

Re 24-70 2.8 II, that's a great lens but you already have the 24-105 f/4. If you do or ever plan on doing any hand-held video, the 24-105 has image stabilization, which makes a huge difference.

IMO your highest-priority next lens should be the 70-200, either f/4 or f/2.8. I have the 2.8 II version, and it makes superb images and video, but it's heavy, large and expensive. To me it's worth every penny (and kg!) but there's a good argument for the f/4 version, which is very good, much lighter, smaller and less expensive.

I regularly do documentary work in a mixed shooting group of 5D3 and several D800s. The D800 is very good, and nobody I personally know has had a problem. The D800 has a significant dynamic range advantage, mainly below ISO 400. Nikon's matrix metering and flash system are excellent. However the 5D3 has a much higher frame rate, three silent shutter modes, & better Live View.

Adjusting from the Nikon to Canon interface will take a while. Be prepared to make the time investment. The 5D3 AF system is sophisticated but very complex. See the 1DX AF settings white paper (which also applies to 5D3): http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/1dx_guidebook.shtml

By default the 5D3 multi-controller (aka thumb joystick) isn't "live" for AF point selection. To get that, under "custom controls" (C.Fn2), set multi-controller to "AF point direct selection".

The Canon UI is a little more menu-oriented than Nikon, but all menus are single-page, so no scrolling is required. Take some time and put your frequently-used settings to "My Menu". See the manual under "Registering My Menu".

The 5D3 has three separate (C1, C2, C3) camera states which can be programmed and recalled at will. This makes it quick and easy to change between configurations. See the manual under "custom shooting modes".

By default the 5D3 multi-controller (aka thumb joystick) isn't "live" for AF point selection. To get that, under "custom controls" (C.Fn2), set multi-controller to "AF point direct selection".

The 5D3 image magnify button can also be reassigned to the SET button, for righted-handed operation. That is also under C.Fn2.

If you shoot video, the Quick Control Dial changes to touch-sensitive operation while recording. This is a nice feature which avoids acoustic clicks on the audio track. However it requires familiarization, since when not recording it works rotationally. You access the related video functions with a combination of Q menu, Info button and selecting items with the rotating (or touch-sensitive) Quick Control Dial.

joema1's gear list:joema1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha a7R II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow