Camerasize.com comparison: GX7, E-P5, NEX6, X-E1

Started Aug 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
tjuster1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,825
Re: Camerasize.com comparison: GX7, E-P5, NEX6, X-E1

Jerodequin wrote:

Manip16 wrote:

I genuinely wonder why the NEX cameras are able to be that much thinner than the GX7. I mean, let's ignore the handgrip and the eyepiece, just purely in terms of the camera body itself the NEX is a fair little bit thinner.

They have the same tilting screen, both have a flash, etc. Why is the NEX 6 thinner? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I believe one of the biggest impacts on the thinness of the Nex series cameras is that Sony chose to allow the lens to be mounted very close to the sensor - considerably closer (in camera terms) than the lens can be mounted to the sensor on a M4/3 camera.

This has its benefit in allowing a very thin design but has a disadvantage (as I understand it - someone with more technical knowledge in this field would need to confirm) of impacting image quality especially on wide angle lenses.

The difference is 2mm, which isn't significant in terms of the physical width of the camera, even though it may (as you write) affect IQ of WA lenses.

I think making room for IBIS has more to do with explaining why Oly cameras are thicker than NEX cameras. Why older Pannys (i.e., those lacking IBIS) had to be so thick never made sense to me.

tjuster1's gear list:tjuster1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow