Planning to switch from D800 to 5DIII Locked

Started Aug 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
rrccad Forum Pro • Posts: 10,601
Re: Planning to switch from D800 to 5DIII

iseeu wrote:

bronxbombers4 wrote:

jimbrobb wrote:

I have the 5D3 and also tried out the D800. Both are great cameras but I stuck with the Canon.

1) Focusing is faster and accurate.

2) If you pixel peep you will see more noise in the D800 even at ISO 200.

Not if you compare the images at the same scale, unless you got really high iso.

And D800 ISO100-400 has a LOT more dynamic range. Cam also pulls in more resolution, good for distant birds and such, although some of their lenses are worse so for other stuff you don't gain a lot of resolution in the outer 1/4 of each frame.

D800 is said to focus a bit better under super low light.

5D3 has much better liveview and infinitely better movies.

I like the Canon UI a lot better.

The 24-105L that the OP is looking into is not really all that sharp, especially on FF on the wide side at the edges. The 24-70 f/4 IS is a lot sharper and the 24-70 2.8 II is craaazzy sharp.

3) I like the characteristics of the Canon Image over the Nikon. The Nikon is a bit flat.

4) The Canon lenses are better, the new Nikon 70-200 f4VR and the 70-400 VR G are good, but there is a lack of contrast compared to Canon.

I'd definitely go for the Canon.

I got the 24-105mm is because I can get it together with the body for fairly good price from local kijiji also they include an accessory kit which is include an extra battery, camera bag and strap, D800 pair with 24-70 Nikkor not that good AF in low light, maybe I will keep watching in the used market for the 24-70 2.8 II, now I am not gonna buy from the store who charge 13% tax, that's lots of money, especially when I sell it used I take quite bit of loss.

I feel your Toronto 13% HST pain

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow