Re: Planning to switch from D800 to 5DIII

David Hull wrote:

iseeu wrote:

David Hull wrote:

iseeu wrote:

David Hull wrote:

iseeu wrote:

I am planning to make a switch from the D800 to 5DIII for some reason:

1. D800 lock me up few times and I have to take out the battery and insert it to make it work again, this really annoying.

Have you heard other D800 users complaining about this issue? Seems like maybe an issue with your particular camera perhaps?

2. The grip (not the battery grip) made 1 of my finger so painful after 10 hours of work, this is never happened with my D700.

There is definitely something different about the way Nikon designs that grip, I feel the same way, IMO, it sux.

3. The outer left AF point back focus severely.

The D800 AF is supposed to be pretty good. I wonder if this is not an issue with your particular camera as well. That said, the 5DIII AF is hard to beat I doubt that it is any better than the D800 but it is no worse either. FWIW: All of the AF points on mine work fast and are spot on (including the extra 10 points that Nikon doesn't have -- couldn't resist )

4. Can't lock focus in low light so I missed few important shots.

I doubt that the Canon is any better here either. But it should be just as good.

I only have the Nikon 24-70mm for now, so I am not heavily invested in Nikon glass. Do you guys think 5D III will not give me those problems? I will buy the 5DIII with 24-105mm f/4 kit lens. Does 5D III will give me better high ISO performance? Can you please help me to decide. Thanks in advance.

The 5DIII and the 24-105 make an excellent combination. That is the combo that I use the most.

I am sure that you will like the 5DIII but I have to wonder if some of the stuff you are complaining about is not specific to your particular D800. Hope you don't throw away too much money on the switch.

-- hide signature --

Hi David, thanks for joining this thread, regarding the problems I had with Nikon, are already well known, I thought Nikon has fixed them as they promised in the last firmware update on May 2013, but actually the problems still there, I doubt that Nikon will be able to fix it with FW. I started with Nikon since D70s until now, too bad too much problem this time, I think there is a waste if we have 51 points but I only use the center point just to be safety, I don't trust any other focus points especially the left outer point.

I don't hang out on the Nikon forums much (unless something drags me over there). I had heard about the Nikon one sided AF (though I thought it was fixed) but had not heard about the hang issue. The Canon 20D's did that years ago (I had one of those) so I know it can be rather annoying.

Anyway, I find all of the Canon 5DIII AF points to be quite usable, you from my experience you can pick any of them with complete impunity.

-- hide signature --

First impression on first click, AF very fast feel better than my previous Nikon, the grip is really comfortable. Lock up is not only annoying but I feel stupid if in the front of the customer I have to get the battery out, can't imagine if I get the problem when the bride coming in.

Yea... that would be genuinely annoying if you are doing production work. I think the 5DIII is probably a better wedding pro camera than the D800 anyway. If that is what you do, you probably made the right choice. The grip thing has to be a personal preference since so many Nikon users seem OK with it but I don’t like the feel of it either and it IS quite a noticeable difference.

-- hide signature --

What I need is a reliable camera for the job, and this D800 is not reliable at all with those problems, I don't feel confident in doing the job. The grip thing I don't have problem with my previous D700 that I already sold.

iseeu's gear list:iseeu's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow