Camerasize.com comparison: GX7, E-P5, NEX6, X-E1

Started Aug 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
tjuster1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,852
Re: Camerasize.com comparison: GX7, E-P5, NEX6, X-E1

Bob Meyer wrote:

l_objectif wrote:

For me, GX1 has the perfect size! I am very disappointed of the size of GX7, although I am well aware that on the paper, it should be a fantastic camera!... I was impatiently waiting for this camera; but as I need a "portable", now I am not sure I am going to get it at this size!

As for the looks, to me Nex 6 looks the best of the bunch. I still can't get over with fat design of the GX7 grip! It really doesn't go with the rest!

I'm just blown away by some of the comments on this forum. The GX7 is still a very small camera, and not really all that much bigger than the GX1:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#183,472

Just overlay the 1 on top of the 7.

If you want a point and shoot, buy a point and shoot. But how do you think Panasonic could possibly squeeze everything the GX7 offers, AND the decent control layout, into a smaller package? Yes, the NEX is smaller, but the control layout pretty much sucks, and you have to resort to the (horrible) menu system to do things that are controlled by buttons or switches on Panasonic cameras.

And for those of us who like to use our cameras, rather than look at them, that grip is a Godsend.

Those of us who like to carry our cameras in our pockets really like small cameras, and the GX7 is just too big for that. I presently carry a PM2 with either 14mm or 17mm pancake, and yes it fits in my pocket which means I have it with me nearly all the time.

And while maybe Panasonic couldn't squeeze everything the GX7 offers into a small package, I think Sony could and eventually will. The NEX-6 small, the NEX-5N is even smaller (though lacks the EVF)--and both of those have an APS-C-sized sensor.

To me the GX7 is not a "very small camera"--it's a medium-sized m43 camera that sacrifices size for more controls and grip. I understand that many (probably most) people in here applaud that decision, but there are others who still crave a tiny GF3/PM2-sized camera with a built-in EVF and all the bells and whistles.

tjuster1's gear list:tjuster1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow