This thread is locked.
David Hull
David Hull Veteran Member • Posts: 6,021
Re: Go for it.

iseeu wrote:

JackM wrote:

iseeu wrote:

I am planning to make a switch from the D800 to 5DIII for some reason:

1. D800 lock me up few times and I have to take out the battery and insert it to make it work again, this really annoying.

I have not had this problem with my 5D3.

2. The grip (not the battery grip) made 1 of my finger so painful after 10 hours of work, this is never happened with my D700.

I love the grip on the 5D3.

3. The outer left AF point back focus severely.

Are you sure this is a camera problem and not a lens problem? Lenses can be decentered, and can look fine in the middle of the image but one side is soft. Also lenses that are inherently soft away from the middle when wide open will not AF as well with outer AF points, because AF is done with the lens wide open.

4. Can't lock focus in low light so I missed few important shots.

I've been happy with my 5D3 in this regard.

I only have the Nikon 24-70mm for now, so I am not heavily invested in Nikon glass. Do you guys think 5D III will not give me those problems? I will buy the 5DIII with 24-105mm f/4 kit lens. Does 5D III will give me better high ISO performance? Can you please help me to decide. Thanks in advance.

I love my 5D3 and consider it 99% perfect. 10fps would make it perfect, but hey you can't have everything. I think you'll be very happy with the move. The 24-105 kit is a steal and a no-brainer to get started. You can sell the 24-105 later for no loss, or if you don't use it and sell it right away you can even make a profit. Another thought is to keep it as your walk-around zoom and then get fast primes instead of the 24-70/2.8 for low light.

Jack thanks for your suggestions, also 1 more reason i make a switch all my friend mostly using Canon, I think you are right about the primes, I will do this transition slowly because not enough funds to make it quick, also I am planning to get the 70-200mm f/4 IS that everyone said a really sharp lens. about the outer AF point this is widely known for the D800 only the left point is very bad, this happened with all 3 lenses I have before, so it's not the lens.

That right there is as good a reason as any for picking a particular brand.  You can ask questions, compare notes, borrow stuff etc.

-- hide signature --
 David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow