Camera sales are falling and it's partially our fault.

Started Aug 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,393
Re: Forums not that important in real life

This is true. Contrary to the way most people feel, the forums are irrelevant to most people's lives. For example, reading this forum will make you believe there is a huge mirrorless camera craze sweeping through the globe. Last time I was out around a lot of people, I saw maybe 3 mirrorless cameras and too many DSLRs to count.

-- hide signature --

Originally posted by brianj-
"As to why we come here, I have no idea, the forums are just a shadow of their old selves, in fact the Beginners Forum should be renamed into 'What camera should I buy' forum.
Anyway it keeps a lot of people off the streets and that is a good thing."
Anonymous-- "I'll be glad to discuss composition with you. As it is those "special moments" you record remind me of bowel movements."

I am not sure where you saw all the DSLRs.  Until I retired two years ago I spent a great deal of time at various birding spots in Florida and it seemed everyone had and used DSLRs.  However this summer in trips to Zion, Bryce and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, I saw only one other person (other than my wife and I) with a DSLR in Bryce.  None in Zion or the Grand Canyon.  In a second trip to the Montreal Botanical Garden Cultural Mosaic exhibit and the Reford Gardens my wife and I had the only two DSLRs I saw.  On our trip to Bonaventure Island with its 180,000 gannets, I saw only two other DSLRs.  Everyone else was using camera phones. P&S with a lot of superzooms, possibly some mirrorless (difficult to know without closer observation) and even a few ipads.  I was surprised that I didn't see more DSLRs at each of these.

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow