Sorry to burst bubbles about GX7, but...

Started Aug 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
amvrvd Regular Member • Posts: 223
Re: Sorry to burst bubbles about GX7, but...

sigala1 wrote:

I am saying that people shouldn't assume "wow, IBIS, that's AWESOME!!!" I really hope the IBIS is awesome, but I won't believe it until it's thoroughly vetted.

I agree that it needs to be tested, but at the same time, setting the E-PM1 as a reference isn't a wise analysis of the available info, the two have nothing to do with each other. OTOH, taking into account Oly and Pany's partnership and the way patents go, maybe the GX7 IBIS comes directly from Oly, it might even be a better implementation invented by Pany, who knows, I'm sure that if Pany was confident enough to put it in this premium body along the plethora of other high end features they must feel pretty sure about its usefulness.

Panasonic has shown a history of cheapness when it comes to manufacturing. The kit lens (now discontinued) is the cheapest feeling lens I ever used in the history of interchangeable lens cameras. The thumbwheel on the GF2 and G5 both suck... I assume that Panasonic has sourced a massive supply the cheapest thumbwheels in China, and they are not going to spend money on any better ones.

Panasonic has good electronics and software, but Olympus pays much better attention to how their stuff looks and feels.

Yes, all that is true, but you're only taking into account the older models, recent ones have improved a lot, the new kit lens is very well constructed, as is the GF-6, G6 and GH3, and from all the hands-on reviews already out there it seems the GX7 is also very well manufactured.

I'm advising people that even if the GX7 performs as advertised, you will save a lot of money with just a few months of patience given Panasonic's history of setting list prices for their cameras that's out of line with reality. (In contrast, Olympus was much more successful with the list price of the E-M5, becuase a year and a half later it's still selling for pretty much the same price.)

Uh? You're basically saying the same thing I did but you appeared to be complaining about this initially, that's why I said this was a good thing, with a little patience you can have a big discount, I don't see why this would be a bad thing for us users. Like I said before, camera bodies are never a good investment (unless it's a Leica), Lenses are. To complain about the devalue of bodies is just silly, I would understand the complains if lenses depreciated like bodies do but that's not the case.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
LWW
MT
Niq
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow