Sorry to burst bubbles about GX7, but...

Started Aug 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP sigala1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,818
Re: Sorry to burst bubbles about GX7, but...

amvrvd wrote:

1. I know where you're coming from, I felt the same way when Oly tried to pull the same BS when they were ¨forced¨ to use the 12Mp sensor over and over again, they said the E-P3 sensor was brand new and BS like that when in reality they just tweaked the processing engine. But in the case of the GX7 It's a little bit different, in the worst case scenario they've used existing sensor tech and modified it by enlarging the diodes and improving the circuitry, which in itself is not bad at all, that would actually make a real difference, best case scenario they're telling the truth and this is a completely new sensor that equals or even surpasses the Sony 16mp. In any case, it won't be worse than what's already available.

2. Your PM1's IBIS being crap is no argument for Pany's implementation being crap as well. The PM1's IBIS was dreadful because the weak frame of the camera couldn't handle the shutter shock, not because Oly hasn't perfected the IBIS after all this time, try any other camera with 2 axis IBIS and you'll find good results, the PM1 is just a cheap camera with cheap build. The GX7 is built like a tank, I'm sure the IBIS won't be affected, who knows, maybe Oly lent Pany their IBIS technology (since there are patents that would impede Pany from just straight out copying them).

I am saying that people shouldn't assume "wow, IBIS, that's AWESOME!!!" I really hope the IBIS is awesome, but I won't believe it until it's thoroughly vetted.

3. I don't know, I mean, they've improved they manufacturing quality all across the board, from lenses to bodies, the G5 is a lot different from the G6, the GH2 from the GH3, the GF5 from GF6 and even their new kit lens is tougher. I also haven't read or heard any of the early reviewers complain about the built quality nor the wheels in any specific manner, in fact they've praised it.

Panasonic has shown a history of cheapness when it comes to manufacturing. The kit lens (now discontinued) is the cheapest feeling lens I ever used in the history of interchangeable lens cameras. The thumbwheel on the GF2 and G5 both suck... I assume that Panasonic has sourced a massive supply the cheapest thumbwheels in China, and they are not going to spend money on any better ones.

Panasonic has good electronics and software, but Olympus pays much better attention to how their stuff looks and feels.

4. I don't see how your personal experience with filters is relevant to this camera (?)

5. Are you actually complaining that you can get state of the art cameras for half the price at the cost of being patient ? That's a good thing (for us) ! Camera bodies are not meant to be investments, lenses are, m4/3 is not Leica, bodies won't hold their value, that's expected. I'm actually hoping we see some discounts by December.

So I'm glad to say my bubble remains intact.

I'm advising people that even if the GX7 performs as advertised, you will save a lot of money with just a few months of patience given Panasonic's history of setting list prices for their cameras that's out of line with reality. (In contrast, Olympus was much more successful with the list price of the E-M5, becuase a year and a half later it's still selling for pretty much the same price.)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
LWW
MT
Niq
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow