Sorry to burst bubbles about GX7, but...

Started Aug 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
dougjgreen1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,317
Re: Sorry to burst bubbles about GX7, but...

sigala1 wrote:

1. Panasonic has never shown willingness to use the best “GH” sensor in what it considers to be lesser cameras. So the GX7 will most likely have the same sensor as the G6 which appears to be the same sensor as in the G5 which is not as good as the sensor being used in all current-model Olympus m43 cameras.

It is in fact, a completely new sensor, and one that Panasonic claims has 6 db better Signal to Noise Ratio than the sensor in the GH3.  Of course, we need independent sources to test this claim before taking it as fact.

2. The Panasonic IBIS is completely untested. I wish them well because Oly needs some competition in that area. The IBIS on my E-PM1 was completely useless because it caused a lot more blur than it prevented. Since this is Panasonic’s first-ever attempt at IBIS, and Oly still doesn’t have the 2-axis IBIS working perfectly after so many years, I wouldn’t assume that the Panasonic IBIS is any good until thoroughly tested.

I disagree.  This is the same IBIS in the Oly E-520 and E-620, and it is good for at least 2 stops of shutter speed improvement.  Of course, 5-axis IBIS is better, but the Oly 2 axis IBIS is certainly NOT useless.

3. Given the ***ppy thumbwheel on the G5, which had a pretty high price tag of $699, I wouldn’t assume that the GX7 thumbwheel is going to be any better than that just because it costs a thousand dollars, and not a quality thumbwheel like Olympus has on its best m43 cameras.

Personal opinion.  I find the G5 control wheel to be perfectly fine, and better than the one on my E-PL2

4. As a Panasonic camera, it will be much more resistant to purple fringing than Olympus, but I sort of fixed that problem by using a Tiffen 52mm Haze 2A filter and appropriate step-up rings.

That certainly won't work on the 7-14mm lens.

5. If history repeats itself, those who are patient will may very well be able to buy the GX7 for less than $500 within a year. It took less time than that before the G5 was on sale for half price.

I am pretty sure this camera will follow a similar price curve to the OM-D, because right now, it's unique within the system.  Until there is something new with as good a sensor, and a better feature set, the price will stay near it's intro point.

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
LWW
MT
Niq
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow