Camerasize.com comparison: GX7, E-P5, NEX6, X-E1

Started Aug 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,028
Re: Small huh

nzmacro wrote:

Manip16 wrote:

bryanchicken wrote:

The 5 series is even smaller. Not much from the top/bottom view but check out the front/back views!
No EVF though which saves space, or pop-up flash.

I'm all about smaller size and weight, but I won't give up too much in terms of utility and ergonomics. That's the nice thing about both the NEX 6 and 7 and the m43 E-P5, G5/5, et al, is that it is a "no compromise" smaller size and weight. Still great ergonomics, internal flashes are in most cameras, and an EVF.

I think I would have jumped ship to the NEX already, but m43 just has too good of a lens selection, and due to physics an m43 lens will always be lighter than a NEX lens. APS-C just means more surface area to cover, which means more glass, and you cannot get around that fact.

Depends on what both systems have.

I need longer lenses and both NEX and m4/3 miss out in that area, so I use legacy lenses. The lens sizes don't change no matter what camera they are on, so NEX is about as small as I can get within reasons for the body size. If you need native lenses, well the size difference is there, but not by a lot when you add in the body size.

If you are into small lenses then both systems have them. Its not exactly double the size though

Bingo in the lens department!

I use a bunch of adapted manual lenses that simply are not available for M4/3 or NEX. The fact that, with the appropriate adaptors, my lenses are platform agnostic, gives me the freedom to use pretty much any mirrorless camera body I choose, simply by purchasing a few inexpensive lens adaptors.

BTW, the GX7 grip looks great to me. The NEX grips I've tried strike me as a bit too wide, while being a bit too close to the body. The grips on the Oly and Fuji bodies are a bit like non-skid plates rather than solid, ergonomic grips.

It remains to be seen how the offset lens to viewfinder configuration handles and how well it works for close-up and macro shooting. I've tried the NEX cameras a few times and find it quite awkward. It reminds me of the dark days of shooting with rangefinder film cameras (Konica II, Konica Auto S2).

How does the NEX viewfinder offset work for you doing macro shooting, Danny?

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow