What is your "other" compact camera?

Started Aug 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,198
Re: What is your "other" compact camera?

I have yet to settle upon the perfect compact camera. I was really following the Fuji X Pro-1, until the excellent, sharp EF 40mm 2.8 STM became available, and suddenly a 5D became much more portable and handy. While the little pancake is no zoom, 40mm is very close to 35mm-frame "normal" of 43mm, which I find perfect for "capturing moments" much of the time.

A 5D, with a 40mm mounted, fits into quite small belt pouches, and some large vest pockes. I prefer the belt pouch method, myself. The rush to buy a compact camera disappeared; I could now patiently take my time.

Then, some months later, a camera store employee showed me a Nikon Coolpix A, and I really liked its handling and build qualities. This one had not been on my radar, so I started my reading and looking at images posted on-line. Well, strike the "Coolpix" part, this one needs a better name rhan that, with its quite good 18.5mm (28mm equivalent) lens and APS-C sensor, plus the ability to use real Nikon Speedlights. I bought an A, and my Nikon-shooting wife immediately claimed it for herself.

Now, I find myself saving, toward the acquisition of another Nikon A, or perhaps a different compact.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +49 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Ali
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow