For 22mm shooters: Is the 18-55 worth adding?

Started Jul 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
IchiroCameraGuy Contributing Member • Posts: 888
Re: Ooops: Correction

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

gail wrote:

I was trying to say that I don't consider the EOS-M that small even with the 22mm lens. Personally, it does not serve as a replacement for my S100, carry-at-all-times camera. The M is certainly much easier to carry around than my DSLR (which I sold) but I take it with me purposefully, when I know I have something special to photograph.

True! The S100 is about 1/2 of the thickness of the EOS-M+22mm lens, it is a truly pocketable camera, whereas the EOS-M is really only small enough to fit in large pockets (cargo pockets, jacket pockets). If you're able to (easily) carry the bulk of a EOS-M w/ the 22mm, then the 18-55 shouldn't be an issue.

Today I carried the M in my front pocket of casual shorts - only possible with 22mm.  It be easy to keep the 18-55mm in a separate pocket sure but I'm not a fan of placing/changing lenses outside of the home or office environment.

A lot of women's pants and shorts have pockets basically just for show so they definitely need a tiny compact in the summer months without having a case.

I used to carry 10 pounds of camera gear and still young enough that it wouldn't be too uncomfortable so staying away from bags and cases if possible is an attractive aspect of the small pancake lenses on mirrorless.

IchiroCameraGuy's gear list:IchiroCameraGuy's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS M Samsung NX500 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow