Test images using my DA(*) lenses on a 35mm camera

Started Aug 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Barry Pearson
Barry Pearson Veteran Member • Posts: 7,656
Test images using my DA(*) lenses on a 35mm camera

I've uploaded lots of test images using my DA(*) lenses on a 35mm camera.

I put my DA and DA* lenses on a Pentax Z-1p 35mm camera, and shot 3 films in all. I've uploaded 99 scans to my website for all to see. They are 4976px by 3300px JPEGs, and so are of the order of 4 MB each.

I photographed a brick wall in about one third of the photos, and a simple test target for the other two-thirds. Nearly half of the photos used a 1.4x teleconverter. I've superimposed an APS-C-sized rectangle onto each photo to make comparisons of edge and corner quality easier.

Here is the link to the set of pages describing the tests and providing the photos

There are 3 descriptive pages plus one page per lens. The 6 (Pentax) lenses are: DA 10-17mm fisheye; DA 12-24mm; DA 17-70mm; DA* 55mm; DA* 60-250mm; DA* 300mm. Their pages give a very brief summary of my thoughts on how useful they would be on such a camera.

This is still work-in-progress. I may add more analysis to those pages, and perhaps process some of the scans to see if their failings (if any) can be overcome with post-processing. I may post some of the analysis and conclusions here. But in the meantime I feel that others may want to examine the scans and draw their own conclusions and post them here. Or ask me to expand on my own views on those pages.

I made some (fairly obvious) errors in a few of the tests, such as camera shake, bad focusing, etc. It is unlikely that I will re-do any tests. This was a one-off exercise mainly for my own purposes.

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +20 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow