Insisting that Canon is abandoning M?

Started Jul 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Abrak Veteran Member • Posts: 4,129
Re: The EOS-M and its future.

rrccad wrote:

Abrak wrote:

Marco Nero wrote:

The EOS-M is proving wildly successful for Canon.

I didnt read the whole post (so you might just be joking) but I did find the first sentence amusing.

I think we should look a bit at the data. For the first 6 months of this year 167,000 mirrorless cameras have been shipped to the Americas which represents 2% of total digital camera shipments. In June, a total of 10,200 mirrorless were shipped to the US representing 1% of total digital camera shipments. DSLRs have outshipped mirrorless 9:1 in the first six months and 25:1 in June.

Now lets make a reasonably heroic assumption that the EOS-M has taken a 15% market share - there are 8 players in the market and no one camera took more than 11% share last year in Japan. Now that implies 20,000 units in the first 6 months and 40,000 for the year. Now Canon aims to sell around 4m DSLRs in the US this year, so its DSLRs are going to outsell its mirrorless by 100:1 and the DSLRs will have an higher average unit sales value.

So mirrorless is an unmitigated disaster in the US. Canon has little to no reason to continue to market a product that probably accounts for less than 1% of its DSLR business and which almost certainly represents an irritating distraction from both the company's core business as well as their customer base.

canon makes and sells alot of items - some of which probably sell far less than the EOS-M. imaging (DSLR's, cameras,etc) is only one of canon's "core businesses". they can afford a loss in the united states if it helps build the market, and at the same time builds that market with the majority of users with a canon MILC.

united states is not a market that has really adopted mirrorless for sure. if it's a disaster for canon (who can afford the losses to try and create a market ) .. imagine what it is for other companies (outside of nikon)

it also makes you wonder about sony going full mirrorless,etc .. the adoption in the US just isn't there.

I agree that is one way of looking at it - mirrorless is only 1% of Canon's DSLR sales but it is an incremental 1%.

But there is another way of looking at it.

The ILC camera market in the US is working out pretty well for Canon at the moment. A lot of its major competitors - Fuji, Canon, Sony, Olympus etc are putting their resources into mirrorless a market 10% of DSLR and that is leaving Canon and Nikon pretty much a free rein over the other 90% of the market.

The problem with Canon being in mirrorless is that it grows awareness of 'mirrorless' to the whole camera market and to DSLR owners. Maybe a Canon system user tries the Canon EOS-M and finds that he is leaving his DSLR at home more often that not. He might start thinking that have a smaller more compact system is actually a pretty good idea. And when he starts thinking that there is a good chance he is going to look elsewhere other than Canon.

I dont suspect Canon is bothered if someone picks up a Canon EOS-M plus 22m instead of a Nikon Coolpix A/a Ricoh/a Fuji 100s but when he adds an 11-22 and starts thinking it might replace his 17-35 he doesnt look so good.

So we know exactly how much the Canon EOS-M adds to their DSLR business - 1% - we dont know its potential to cannibalize the other 99% of their ILC business.

I think you are right to question what anyone is getting out of the mirrorless business at the moment - certainly nobody is making a profit. Canon doesnt need to be in this business or expand the platform for others benefit. Other manufacturers arent left with much choice.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow