RX100 vs RX100M2

Started Jul 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tapper123
Tapper123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,703
Re: I'm going to return my mkii

newellj wrote:

I made the other decision - I think the articulated screen is likely to be worth a good bit in terms of flexibility.

I really don't think the screen is an issue or "problematic" and certainly not defective - I pull it down from the top and everything works smoothly. The only way I can get a hitch is by force-pulling it up from the bottom and intentionally keeping the top edge against the camera, which actually takes a lot of work.

I did a lot of comparative tests at ISO ranging from base ISO to 800 in raw and am convinced there is no difference in sharpness in favor of either camera. Comparing OOC jpgs is a different matter but if that's the assignment then camera settings have to be evaluated in order for the comparison to be meaningful.

Depending on condition, you should be able to get at least $500 for the Mk1. At least, until Monday. Sony is going to announce a rebate on the Mk1 tomorrow - or so my dealer tells me.

I feel the same way.

The tilt screen is a HUGE plus for me. I use it constantly. Shooting outside, even if you're shooting low or high, it's great to be able to adjust the view angle to avoid sun glare. And obviously for shooting from odd angles and positions it's mandatory.

As for IQ, I'm quite satisfied. Even pixel peeping in LR, I'm thrilled to see files this clean from a pocket camera. If the older RX100 is slightly sharper or whatever, doesn't matter to me. I want the tilt screen, and I want to add an EVF eventually, and the IQ is still plenty damn good.

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X100F Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Olympus E-M5 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow