One lens vs. multiple lenses

Started Jul 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP trut_maluglist Regular Member • Posts: 287
Re: One lens vs. multiple lenses

joejack951 wrote:

trut_maluglist wrote:

joejack951 wrote:

trut_maluglist wrote:

For these kinds of beginners, why don't they prefer a 18-200?

Cost and/or size most likely. Beginners are far more likely to just stick with the kit lens (or lenses) that came with their camera rather than spend quite a bit more for a single lens that duplicates the focal lengths they already have.

What I notice about these beginners is their lens choice seems to be strange. For example, they'll get a kit with a 18-55. Then when getting another lens, they'll get a 70-200 rather than a 18-200 - meaning they'll have to change lenses all the time. They end up lugging around their equipment in a far larger camera bag than I use, and spend a lot more time fumbling around with their lenses - changing from one to the other.

Why would they want worse performance at the same focal lengths they already own? Do you not see any benefit in a constant f/2.8 telephoto lens versus your variable aperture, f/5.6 at the long end, zoom? Whether or not "those beginners" make use of the lens is a different topic; not everyone is as inadequate at getting the best out of their equipment as "those beginners."

Also, there's a reason why Nikon's f/2.8 pro zooms are 14-24, 24-70, and 70-200. Extending focal length range costs performance so if performance is the goal, reducing overlap as much as possible is the most efficient way to get there.

Your goal is convenience. That's abundantly clear to everyone by now.

Even many years ago when I was shooting film, I was aware that the shorter the focal range, the better the optics - especially at the high and low ends of the focal range.  But someone like me has to ask if the benefits of slightly better optics offsets the hassle of carrying around additional lenses, missing an unexpected shot due to having the wrong lens on and the extra time to change lenses.

Many of the people I know who have expressed interest in moving up to a DSLR are the types who typically shoot photos while on the go.  For someone who typically shoots photos on the go, it would make more sense to have a single lens that covers all of your needs.  I'm not denying that there are trade offs.  I'm merely pointing out that many amateur photographers I've encountered seem to make the wrong trade offs given the type of photography they do.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow