One lens vs. multiple lenses

Started Jul 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Amamba
Amamba Senior Member • Posts: 1,935
Re: one lens is enough

This is a great overexagerration. Nobody has to carry around a suitcase full of lenses to get the benefits of interchangeable lens system. I've been shooting DSLRs for 7+ years, for most of the time I've only owned 3 lenses at time - a fast, sharp zoom in the 17-50/2.8 category, a sharp 55-250 then 70-300 stabilized tele, and a dedicated fast (f1.8) portrait prime (first 50mm then 85mm). When traveling, I would typically leave the prime at home. So I would travel with just two lenses, covering 17 to 250 or 300mm range combined, each being lighter than a typical 18-200 superzoom, much sharper, especially in the 17-50 range, faster in that range, giving me a better overall quality in a generally smaller package when mounted (my last tele was kind of bulky if fairly light, the ones I had before were light and portable).

I did not have any issues with changing lenses. The situations where I would have to go from wide to tele on a short notice were extremely rare. Most of time, I was able to mount the lens in the focal range most suited for the general conditions of that day's shoot, and may be switch to the second lens once. No constant juggling of lenses. I traveled through the US, Canada, Middle East and Mexico and very rarely felt hindered by the need to change lenses. When I had to change them on the spot, which didn't happen often, it was a small inconvenience to pay for getting superior IQ. And I would definitely miss many more shots due to not having a fast enough lens, than I ever did because I was changing lenses. And of course I would never get some of the portraits of my family if I didn't have a supersharp fast prime with special bokeh.

Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow