One lens vs. multiple lenses

Started Jul 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP trut_maluglist Regular Member • Posts: 303
Re: One lens vs. multiple lenses

Placation101 wrote:

trut_maluglist wrote:

Red5TX wrote:

trut_maluglist wrote:

Why on earth would one want to carry around several lenses when an 18-200 (or perhaps 18-135) would cover most of the types of photography they do and would eliminate the necessity of changing lenses all the time?

Speed. Quality. Size.

But mostly speed.

Speed? If you wish to change from one lens to another to shoot an 18 mm shot and then shoot a 180 mm shot, it will cost you a lot more time than it will me.

Lens speed. I.e

You are shooting at iso 1600 while The guy next to you is shooting at iso 200 or 400.

Or

You are shooting at 1/200 and the guy next to you is freezing action at 1/800 or 1/1600

Or

You are barely blurring the background and the guy next to you is completely blurring it.

If none of those appeal to you that's fine, but just the speed of the lens has significant advantages. You are basically by extension saying the iso, low light capibility, of a full frame camera is useless to most people, all it does is allow you to shoot faster with less noise.

Look there is a reason they make the 18-200 and 28-300 because they are convenient at the cost of some speed and image quality. If those don't matter or it is good enough, more power to ya, enjoy, I would love that feeling, but comparing certain images it and under certainconditions the difference can be quite noticable.

Yes, two definitions for 'speed'!

True, I may have to go up to ISO 1600 while the guy next to me is shooting at ISO 200 or he can shoot at 1/800 while I have to shoot at 1/200.  But I can go from 200 mm to 18 mm in under 5 seconds while it will take the next photographer well over 30 seconds.  Trade offs.  It helps if we each clearly establish what's important to us.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow