One lens vs. multiple lenses

Started Jul 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP trut_maluglist Regular Member • Posts: 286
Re: One lens vs. multiple lenses

YRUNVS wrote:

trut_maluglist wrote:

Why on earth would one want to carry around several lenses when an 18-200 (or perhaps 18-135) would cover most of the types of photography they do and would eliminate the necessity of changing lenses all the time?

While a superzoom may cover all of the focal lengths I may want to shoot in a given day, or week, the 70-300 I use to shoot pictures at a mud run likely won't deliver what I am looking for at the pub later when I am shooting 1.8 1/60th a second and 5-digit ISO. I tend to shoot more with my 85mm prime even though I have that FL covered by two zooms. I like the rendering on my 105 2.5p enough to use it regularly even though it is manual focus, which is often more of an inconvenience than switching lenses. Horses for courses. If a superzoom allows you to get the shots you want in the style and/or rendering you like then that's good for you and saves you some cash and hassle. Others may prefer a different route, and if it works for them, good for them as well.

If I'm shooting photos of a mud run (rodeo or auto race) where I shoot primarily at 100 mm or more, I still like the flexibility of being able to get that wide angle shot to mix in with all the close up shots.

Imagine going into the paddock area at the races.  You switch to your wide angle lens to get photos of the cars.  Then in the distance you see a prize photo opportunity which requires a 150 mm focal length and will be there for only 10-15 seconds.  I'll get that photo while others won't.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow