One lens vs. multiple lenses

Started Jul 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP trut_maluglist Regular Member • Posts: 286
Re: One lens vs. multiple lenses

Amamba wrote:

joejack951 wrote:

Why on Earth do people buy an interchangeable lens camera and then only ever use one lens?

To answer your question in the most simple manner, I use more than one lens when my go-to lens (24-120/4) can't do what I want to do, i.e. shoot faster, wider, longer, closer, and/or sharper. Simple as that.

You took the words right out of my mouth. If you only use one lens (and rather slow one), just get a top of the line P&S, you'd get the same IQ and better zoom range in a smaller package. Nothing wrong with that approach.

I an using interchangeable lens cameras because I like the fact that every good lens has it's own unique character, and I can often tell what lens I took a particular shut with after just one glance a year later. I like the bokeh on different lenses. I like to use a fast lens in low light. I like to use different legacy lenses. I think I'd get bored with a single lens camera very quickly.

From what I know about the top of the line point & shoot, I would have far less control over things like focus area, exposure area, aperture, shutter speed and ISO than I do with either my D5200 or D90.  Plus, should I wish to use a different lens, I still have that option with the D5200 or D90.  The 18-200 I use isn't as fast as fixed FL lenses - but for low light, the D5200 and D90 have very good noise reduction.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow