Do you really see THAT much difference in images?

Started Jul 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
John Miles
John Miles Veteran Member • Posts: 6,909
Re: I think it's the opposite

MichaelKJ wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

John Miles wrote:

The image quality I follow obeys two criteria:

1. Was it taken quickly enough - did I get the shot. This is the best image quality of all; the shot you didn't miss.

Maybe if you are an investigative reporter, or work with celebrities, on assignment, etc. then taking a legible shot is all that matters.

This is a critical issue for all types of photography. Two personal example that come to mind were my mother's 90th birthday and when my two grandsons who live far apart were together for the first time. While there were obviously many staged photos, my favorites are the photos I took of spontaneous interactions--some of which I nailed and others that I missed.

I strongly suspect that the problem for an average person with a camera is quite the opposite: they take way too many pictures, 99.9(9)% of which are crappy. They need to slow down and think before pressing that button. I always recommend to start shooting with a fast normal prime, a manual one at that, not with a slow wide angle zoom. That will slow you down and force to think about framing, DOF, exposure, etc. Otherwise, people never learn to take anything but the proverbial P&S pictures with any camera, because all that is required from them is to point the lens to the south/north/east/west and push the button: the angle is wide, the aperture is small -- everything fits, everything in focus, -- and the picture sucks.

IMO, John wasn't referring to the problem that you describe. In fact, I think he would agree that mindlessly taking too many photos increases the likelihood that you won't get the shot.

Correctly assessed. In respect of the other argument the key is image cost. Professional model photographers, with the cash investment in their projects, would once shoot whole light boards of film as a basis for selection of the perfect shot. The digital age allows us all to do the same at need; for nought.

-- hide signature --

The FZ50: DSLR handling of a bright, non-extending Leica 35-420mm F2.8-3.7 lens. I live in hope that Mr Ichiro Kitao, Mr Michiharu Uematsu and Mr Yoshiyuki Inoue have triggered the update to the FZ50. Please update the FZ50. It is unique and users of it cannot update without compromise of one or more of its combination of features. Full tribute here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=42366095 . Performace diagram here: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3862228415/photos/2623982/fz50-performance-range

John Miles's gear list:John Miles's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow