Do you really see THAT much difference in images?

Started Jul 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 14,347
Re: I think it's the opposite

forpetessake wrote:

John Miles wrote:

The image quality I follow obeys two criteria:

1. Was it taken quickly enough - did I get the shot. This is the best image quality of all; the shot you didn't miss.

Maybe if you are an investigative reporter, or work with celebrities, on assignment, etc. then taking a legible shot is all that matters. I strongly suspect that the problem for an average person with a camera is quite the opposite: they take way too many pictures, 99.9(9)% of which are crappy. They need to slow down and think before pressing that button. I always recommend to start shooting with a fast normal prime, a manual one at that, not with a slow wide angle zoom. That will slow you down and force to think about framing, DOF, exposure, etc. Otherwise, people never learn to take anything but the proverbial P&S pictures with any camera, because all that is required from them is to point the lens to the south/north/east/west and push the button: the angle is wide, the aperture is small -- everything fits, everything in focus, -- and the picture sucks.

I disagree completely I have learnt much more from the digital revolution and being able to take lots of pictures. I remember a time when I took a picture and by the time I got it back and printed, I had no idea of the settings or why I had got it so wrong.  Now I can afford to take 10 shots of the same subject modifying as I go to get the best result and it doesn't stop there.  I can compare the differences between the shots and learn how to get it right first time, next time.  I even learn lots from the 'crappy ' pictures

-- hide signature --
 Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow