What are the ultra-wide-angle options for the NEX?

Started Jul 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mel Snyder
Mel Snyder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,088
Re: Correcting distortion in rectilinear wide angle lenses

DWMurf wrote:

I particularly am interested in the anamorphic corrections this software can do. This is for rectilinear not fisheye lenses it seems to me.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/SOFT/dxo-viewpoint/

Quote from the review:

1. Anamorphosis Tool. This tool corrects the geometric distortion caused by a wide angle lens on object at the far edges of the image. The typical example is a group of people. If the guys on the ends were holding plates, they wouldn't be circles but ovals. This tool makes them circles again (almost instantly). And restores the shape of their heads, too.

It's for special fisheye-like superwides, like the Samyang - not the spherical ones that are true fisheyes with circular images.

samyang 8mm f2.8 before Hemi

Note the wheel and instrument "circles" (like the plates and faces on the Image Trends web site

Presto! Round wheel, round instruments - and a straight backstay

I tried it on my 11mm images from my 11-16mm Tokina. Ugh. That great lens is not designed like the Samyang.

My conclusion: NOT for rectilinears

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow