Do you really see THAT much difference in images?

Started Jul 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP rkhndjr Forum Pro • Posts: 13,082
Re: Do you really see THAT much difference in images?

n3eg wrote:

A lot of the difference in images depends on where you're coming from.

I'm coming from point and shoots and bridge cameras. My big test of image quality was shooting hills, especially ones with radio sites on top. Every time I upgraded, it was "Yeah, I can see the towers a little bit better now." 100% crops were mostly unimpressive. Then I saw micro four thirds and some of the pictures, and saw that there was a huge difference. I never wanted a big DSLR, and was used to the sensor size format from my Pentax Auto 110 days in the early 1980s. So, I bought an E-PL5 and a 40-150 zoom, and took a few of the same photos. You can identify the antennas on a radio tower at 100% crop, and the rest of the hill becomes a "Where's Waldo" as you see details of houses, trucks on logging roads, and so on. It's amazing the difference between small sensor/12-50x zooms and a quarter frame sensor/under4x zoom lens.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, a camera makes a difference, but only if it is for you. Changing cameras or formats, lenses, does not necessarily take better pics, as a lot of the equation is up to you. But I want to know if a picture is good in your eyes, not what took it.

It doesn't make me a pro, but now there's another thing to like about my photos: sharpness.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith
Eternity was in that moment.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow