MPE-65mm macro lens

Started Jul 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP John K Veteran Member • Posts: 7,366
Re: MPE-65mm macro lens

DannH wrote:

Yeah I wasn't implying it's the lens, more just surprising that you get so much in focus at those magnifications. At 1:1 or even 2:1 sure, but at 5:1.... I think I need to have a play with the angles but I guess you also compromise the composition sometimes that way?

Actually I have yet to find a magic angle that didn't work from a compositional perspective.

I think i'm going to have to disagree about the pixel peeping comment, even at screen size there is a big difference and there's several very good photographers who focus stack and still keep great compositions. I guess everyone has different opinion's on what they like.

On the screen, sure. But in print? Nope...

I didn't mean to imply that no one in the focus stacking community can compose an image, I know of several myself (my mentor Mike Plonsky, for example). But I still maintain that focus stacking more often than not blows the composition for me. Either I fixate on the stack errors (my eyes get drawn right to them), or they look flat because there's too much in focus.

Last but not least: What's more important; the sharpness of an image or the overall composition? Fixating on the pixels is a mistake...

At the end of the day I don't focus stack simply because I don't think it's necessary -all too often people think that I stack anyway due to the depth in my images

-- hide signature --

Also known as Dalantech
My Book: http://nocroppingzone.blogspot.com/2010/01/extreme-macro-art-of-patience.html
My Blog: www.nocroppingzone.com
My gallery: www.johnkimbler.com
Macro Tutorials: http://dalantech.deviantart.com/gallery/#Tutorials
Always minimal post processing and no cropping -unless you count the viewfinder...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow