What exactly is the purpose of the DA 35mm F2.4?

Started Jul 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
moving_comfort Veteran Member • Posts: 8,226
Who cares about f/8 here, though?

jrtrent wrote:

audiobomber wrote:

There is one, the FA 35mm f2.0.

That's a lens I was tempted to pick up years ago when I first got my Samsung GX-1S (*ist DS2 clone). However, my reading led me to the same conclusions as the OP when comparing it to the kit zoom I already had. The kit zoom at 35mm and F/8 (my most-used aperture) has far less distortion (0.00574% compared to .848%), far less chromatic aberrations (0.6 compared to 1.23), and virtually the same excellent resolution and vignetting performance. Yes, its maximum aperture is just F/4.5 at that focal length, but that's rarely a limitation that causes me any concern; after all, with my Samsung set to my preferred ISO value of 400, the combination is about as fast as my SP1000 was with its 55mm F/2 Takumar and the variety of ASA 25-100 speed slide films I used, and I actually prefer the more extended depth of field.

You don't really buy the FA 35 f2  (Or DA 35 2.4) to shoot at f/8, though, you buy it to take advantage of one of it's main attributes - speed.  It's a great little indoor low-light tool.

I could never stand using the kit lenses indoors, in either Pentax or Nikon mount.  If I were forced to do so I'd probably give up DSLR.

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow