What exactly is the purpose of the DA 35mm F2.4?

Started Jul 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bob Corson Senior Member • Posts: 2,316
Re: What exactly is the purpose of the DA 35mm F2.4?

vjk2 wrote:

I picked one up and I'm not really impressed. At all.

- not WR and does not have quickshift, and also plastic mount not metal. Should really be DAL series.

Well did you not read anything about it before you bought it? What do you expect for $200? For the price it is an excellent lens. Very sharp, quick accurate focus and excellent walking around lens at 52 mm equivalent focal length.

- 18-55 kit lens is comparable at 35mm but also gets you the useful 18mm range for architecture shots

Sorry but the 18-55 while a decent kit lens is not even close to the image quality of the 35mm f2.4

- 50mm f1.4 has better low light. F2.4 isn't really that much an improvement over the 18-55's f4 ish in that range.

Then why did you buy it? And check carefully at 2.4 it is quite a bit faster then the 18-55 at 35mm.

Only good thing is the low weight and size. Otherwise, I don't really see a good reason to keep it around.

Perhaps you woul be well served before buying anything to think about what you want it to do an what features you want.

-- hide signature --

Bob Corson
To truly see one must open their mind as well as their eyes

Bob Corson's gear list:Bob Corson's gear list
Pentax K-30 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow