7D - 70D - 7D2

Started Jul 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
wihakowi Regular Member • Posts: 242
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2

x-vision wrote:

But the 70D's plastic body alone is an indication to me that Canon is planning a 7DII.

Yeah, I said the same thing about the silliness of using some kind of crazy alloy stuff for tripod heads (yes, I remember very heavy very strong steel heads) and that aluminum stuff replacing all those great wood leg-sets (and yes the Berlebachs are still great).

And don't get me going on how some new-fangled carbon stuff will actually supercede that bad idea aluminum!

It always amazes me how something new like polycarbonate are kind of knee-jerk automatically condemned as being totally inferior to old standbys - like magnesium - or aluminum before that - or steel before that - or wood before that.

Ask what my opinion would be if a manufacturer could make an optically equivalent long lens, say like my 500mm f/4, using modern synthetic materials wherever possible instead of metal and knock, say, a pound off its weight, have it less prone to breakage if stressed at its weak points (the filter opening - a very sad story) and be cheaper to boot! Guess which side of the traditional vs. new kid on the block argument I'd be on?

Steve

wihakowi's gear list:wihakowi's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD elfroggio
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
MOD elfroggio
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow