7D - 70D - 7D2

Started Jul 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
skanter
skanter Forum Pro • Posts: 22,510
Re: Sub-par user interface? Actually, an improved one!

Limburger wrote:

skanter wrote:

Limburger wrote:

skanter wrote:

Bobn2 wrote:

skanter wrote:

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

muckd wrote:

I would guess that keeping out flip out screens have more to do with it not being perceived as pro enough.

There you guess wrong. The infrastructure to be able to flip the screen out takes space and the frame of the LCD needs more space to be sturdy enough. This results in bad compromises in either screen size or control element placement. The Olympus designers went for a sub par LCD size and the Canon designers went for a sub par user interface. In both cases the results are not desirable unless you absolutely need the slip out screen when you may be forced to contend with the down sides of the design...

...except you are the only person on this forum who has used a 60D who has complained of this supposed "compromise of control elements".

Without commenting on individuals, I observe there is a tendency for some owners of 'pro' crop cameras to show immense disdain for 'lesser' cameras and their owners. The main target is usually the model one tier down, which under no circumstances can be admitted to be at all 'pro'. It is almost as though the most important thing for them is that they be associated with a 'pro' camera (pros of course don't care, they just buy the camera that does the job). One symptom of this is that when forced to rationalise this disdain, they will find arbitrary features which only the 'pro' model has (or hasn't) to justify this. On the Nikon DX forums one common rationalisation is that a 'pro' model cannot possibly have a mode dial. Since the 7D does have a mode dial, that doesn't work here. They have to find something else instead.

I don't think this is the case with (yes, I will mention) Karl. He did have an issue with the 60D controls (even broke his glasses), and blames it on the swivel screen taking up too much room.

I, and many others, do not have these "control elements" issues, don't miss the joystick, and probably use cameras differently from him. I welcome the swivel screen as a huge feature as well. We've been disagreeing about this since the 60D came out. I tend to get used to new interfaces rather easily, perhaps he doesn't.

Last november I was to buy a 60D after comparing and testing 60D to 7D for weeks , months even (ergo not IQ). It was sold out in the end and bought a 7D because of a good deal I got.

The 60D is a fine camera and I would have one right now if it was in stock....but....

The 7D is a much better camera in terms of ergonomics, one of the main reasons I went for it.

Calling a 60D sub par is a bit harshly stated but let's say it's different.

I did underestimate 100% VF and the joystick. Of course you can do without, but those are nice features.

For me, the articulating screen is FAR more essential than 100% VF and joystick. I wouldn't consider a camera with a fixed screen at this point. It opens up countless possibilities. For me, 60D ergonomics, size and weight are just about perfect balanced with the lenses I mostly use (17-55, 10-22, 70-300 IS)

I wish the 7D had a swivel screen, that would for me be close to perfect.

It will be interesting to see if it appears on the 7DII, if that camera ever exists.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD elfroggio
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
MOD elfroggio
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow