7D - 70D - 7D2

Started Jul 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
skanter
skanter Forum Pro • Posts: 22,523
Re: Ironic subject line: I wish this thread would die.

elfroggio wrote:

skanter wrote:

[rant mode on]

I know this is a "gear forum", but almost all of the cameras posters own on this forum are overkill for their photographic skills and talents, yet they continually want more, more, more. Good photography comes from your eye and brain, not from the latest cool technology or expensive lenses.

[rant mode off]

Yes and no. I'm "an old fart" with the emphasis on old. There are days where 2000 years old, my back is killing me, my hip hurts... I used to have lightning quick reflex and in my younger days I didn't have a motor drive for my Pentax and I would still get "the moment" now 8 frames per second help me and often saves the day.

I've been wearing glasses for the 50 years, literally. I use progressive lenses (BTW these are Nikon lenses). Earlier this year, the AF died on one of my lens. I had to focus manually. It took me from 10 seconds to 30 seconds to focus "properly". AF allows me to stay in business.

It's still me connecting with the subject, it's still me making the contact, it's still me making the decisions and it's still me pressing the shutter. But technology helps me a lot.

I'm probably older than you are, and wear progressive lenses as well. Fortunately, I can still focus manually and often do with the help of Magic Lantern focus peaking. The articulating LCD allows me to bet creative shots without killing my back bending or lying on the ground.

I think AF is terrific, and a great innovation. Digital photography was a great improvement over film as well. These were major achievements and milestones in photography that helped us all. But the minor improvements , tweaks and refinements that we have seen in recent new models do not, IMO, deserve the obsessiveness that we see here. The companies (capitalism in general) have somehow achieved a cyclical need for something new in short periods of time. The UMF is strong. We cannot resist.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD elfroggio
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
MOD elfroggio
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow