Strange water formation in long exposure

Started Jul 22, 2013 | Questions thread
TDR1 Contributing Member • Posts: 540
Re: Strange water formation in long exposure

rockrose wrote:

(Maybe it has been already said, but I did not read everything completely;) to me a quite logical explanation is there actually was a constant pattern of intermittent flying drops (maybe not all the time but for a few seconds). Fast flowing/falling water hitting irregular rockbottom (with moss) can cause almost every kind of unpredictable flow-pattern; you can even see it from the tap in the kitchen sometimes. I surely did see some strange flow patterns in waterfalls in the mountains. I count over 40 droplets in the arc in the picture, so every 1/20th second the flow produces a droplet bouncing and flying in the same way. It is very well possible it cannot be seen with the naked eye, as in classic film: faster than 1/18 sec we don't see it as individual drops anymore.

Don't forget it's a 2 second exposure. If they were all separate drops it doesn't solve the problem as to freeze the action to see single drops clearly the shutter speed would have to be fast, probably around 1/200 or faster.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow