7D - 70D - 7D2

Started Jul 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jerry-astro
Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 14,792
Mirrorless/EVF replacing DSLR? Not for a while

Bobn2 wrote:

I think the real indicator is what Canon does with the next generation of EOS M. If they produce one with an eye level VF and high frame rate, and make the dual pixel AF work really fast, I think you can take it that they see mirrorless as the route for action APS-C as my industry sources suggest. The Olympus E-M5 is seen by quite a few as being in broadly the same game as the 7D and with what Canon has to deploy, they could make something much better, which would also erode the potential market for a 7D Mk II (they might call it the EOS M7, just to emphasise the intent)n

So, have you looked at the state of the art in EVFs these days?  The best one out there is a very poor substitute for a DSLR VF and IMHO would be all but useless for action photography.  The lag time, relatively poor resolution (as compared to an optical VF), and poor low light performance would make it very difficult to use for sports or BIF.  Now in a few years, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see these issues disappear and your vision of mirrorless cameras displacing DSLR sales as being quite feasible.  However, in the timeframe of a 7D replacement (end of this year to early next year)... no way, no how.  The technology simply isn't mature enough.

And, BTW, if you seriously see the 6D as a viable camera for demanding action photography as compared to a 7D (or what Canon could feasibly introduce in a few months as a replacement), I'd really like to see if you'd be willing to share whatever it is you're smokin'.  Sure, some 7D owners out there might well see the 6D as a viable replacement, but before drawing too many conclusions, you might want to have a better understanding of what type of photography they're doing.

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD elfroggio
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
MOD elfroggio
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow