7D - 70D - 7D2

Started Jul 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 63,558
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

Bobn2 wrote:

the only question that I raise is whether the current Canon product configuration leaves room for a linear successor.

It does - just because the 6D costs the same it doesn't close the position in the lineup.

Whether there is 'room' depends on whether there are enough available sales for two cameras or three at that price point, enough to make enough profit over the lifetime of the model to repay the R&D costs. That depends on the size of the overall market at that price level and the relative share. Sometimes having more than one model can expand the market, but it needs to do so enough to generate more additional revenue than it costs. You are betting that Canon's calculation is that the 6D will generate sufficient additional revenue over and above the 7D to have justified its position. I'm betting that Canon decided that FF at that price point would expand the market, but not enough to justify two cameras, i.e it takes some of the 7D sales, not necessarily all of them. What is important to Canon is that more sales overall accrue. Both are possible. I think mine is more likely, you think yours is more likely.

Car companies produce SUV and limousines and convertible 2 seater cars at the price point and yet there is a valid market for every model - it's the same with the 70D, 7D (eventually 7DII) and 6D. There is enough meat on the bone for a 7DII to differentiate from the 70D and against the 6D the differences will be even greater.

It is a very different marketplace. Firstly, the motor market is much bigger, both in unit numbers and in unit value. Secondly, SUV's and limousines and convertibles are all basically the same product - they share the same R&D. The motor manufacturers develop generic platforms and ring the changes on them, even sharing basic platforms between brands (which might not even belong to the same company). Thus the same R&D costs are shared between many different models, and the required sales per model are reduced proportionately. Put it another way, by selling different variants of basically the same thing, the motor manufacturers expand the market more than the cost of the different variants. Camera companies only do that to a very limited extent in the DSLR market - what they tend to do more is reuse old platforms for new models, so the 5D's up to the Mk II were based on the EOS-30. The problem is for a new 7d is there really is no existing platform for it to be based on, unless it is a very minor enhancement to the 7d (and uses the same platform). With the 6D taking sales in the $2k sector, I find it difficult to believe that Canon could make a profit on it, and if it doesn't make a profit, it won't do it. One possibility would be to release a 7D MkII which is really a 70D with all the required 'pro' trappings. It probably costs nothing to open up the VF a % or two, add a joystick and make a magnesium case. Such a 7D Mk II would be feasible, because what it would be doing was selling more 70D's with an even higher profit margin, similar to what Canon used to do with the 1Ds line. So, that's the way I see it. I'm sorry that it upsets you so that someone sees it differently to you, but that is the way that it is.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD elfroggio
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
MOD elfroggio
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow