7D - 70D - 7D2

Started Jul 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
skanter
skanter Forum Pro • Posts: 22,510
Re: Destructive? Please.

Jerry-astro wrote:

skanter wrote:

+++1. This obsession with new technology is destructive, and has nothing to do with photography.

[rant mode on]

I know this is a "gear forum", but almost all of the cameras posters own on this forum are overkill for their photographic skills and talents, yet they continually want more, more, more. Good photography comes from your eye and brain, not from the latest cool technology or expensive lenses.

[rant mode off]

Sam, to be blunt, if it really bugs you THAT much, this might not be the forum for you. The focus of many, if not most discussions here is technology and the speculation that surrounds it. It's less so about photography per se. This hasn't changed in the 10+ years I've been participating. Overkill or not, people are intensely interested in the technology contained within their cameras and speculating about which direction Canon will head. Yes, it gets intense at times (as it is in this thread), but it's best to simply overlook it and move on. You can rant until you're blue in the face, but it won't change a thing... guaranteed (other than perhaps making you feel a bit better).

Jerry, it's the obsession with new technology that bugs me, not the discussion of it. The technology is a tool. If one is interested in the technology out of context with its purpose, it becomes ridiculous. People are bored, and want new toys. I enjoy new technology as much as anyone, but try to understand its context and keep a perspective on things.

If my rants bug you, then perhaps this is not the forum for you. It's a free form of expression.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD elfroggio
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
MOD elfroggio
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow