7D - 70D - 7D2

Started Jul 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 63,483
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

Bobn2 wrote:

The 70D's plastic body is just a reflection of where canon currently sees the top end of APS-C and what it has to do to make a profit from it.

Wrong.

That's your opinion, not mine. What Canon sees as the 'top end of APS-C' depends on Canon, not you or I. We have different views on what would be their most likely commercial strategy in this position.

As the 70D is the successor of the 60D with SD-card, swivel LCD and plastic body this is a reflection of where Canon currently sees the mid range APS-C - especially as the 70D is lacking in many of the pro grade features that already relegated the 60D to the mid range tier.

'Pro-grade' means nothing except to amateurs. Pro's will generally use whatever gets the job done, and with the configuration of both Nikon and Canon's top end PJ cameras (which generally get identified as 'pro') I would think that the most clearly 'pro grade' feature so far as the amateur market is concerned is FF. That's why the true 'successor' to the 7D might be the 5D MkIII. Pretty much a 7D with this year's 'must have' 'pro grade' features, FF sensor, dual card slots, top end AF. I think it's more than likely that Canon marketing now wants to associate 'pro grade' with FF, and the 70D spec reflects that, in that it is clearly positioned as a very capable enthusiast camera.

So your view on things is severely marred by your lack of understanding what product placement means.

Which means nothing unless you could demonstrate an unambiguously better 'understanding' of product placement. All I can see. looking at your view of it, is that it is solely driven by your own wishes and needs, and not an overall strategy that would ensure the best return for Canon.

The 70D is meant to replace the 60D, it follows suit in features and has been upgraded as usual for such a mid level camera - it isn't meant to replace the 7D, in important areas it does not even come close to the 4 year old camera!

So you keep saying, but the space of the 70D seems somewhat more advanced than one would expect from Canon for a straightforward update, if you look at their history. For instance, track the level of upgrade from 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D and 50D - nothing really as radical in one step as has happened from 60D to 70D. Then also the progress of the Rebels, always stepwise. The times that Canon makes a big change, like the 5DII to 5DIII, or 1DIV to 1DX, or 60D to 70D is when they are repositioning their product range. As for 'important areas' where it doesn't not come close, that is arguable. It's difficult to think of a type of photography that the 70D wouldn't do pretty much as well as the 7D.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD elfroggio
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
MOD elfroggio
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow