Started Jul 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 26,472
Re: 7D - 70D - 7D2

Bobn2 wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Bobn2 wrote:

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

Bobn2 wrote:

Selling two different products into one space is splitting the market.

That were true if the market weren't split already - but someone who is in the target audience for the 6D isn't in the target audience for the 7DII and visa verso, those cameras are too different to be competing with each other - so your whole argument has no merit whatsoever.

I think there is a considerable overlap between the two. Both are general purpose high end enthusiast DSLR's. Yes, there is a group that would only buy one, but in the middle there is a bigger group for whom they are both attractive offers, with a different emphasis. Canon's range has never included alternatives at each price point - they decide on the emphasis (speed, video specs, resolution, FF, etc) at each point and offer one model. If you need something different, you go up or down, not across.

Sorry Bob, but you're incorrect.

What have I said that is 'incorrect' - what I have said is opinions, which may differ from yours, but have as much chance of being 'correct' as yours.

There isn't as much overlap as you think.  If there was, why are there any 7D bodies in use at all?

The 7D is the top end crop sensor cam for speed & action.

That is a matter of fact, but that doesn't mean that it will always be so.

I suspect the 7D II will take that mantle by Feb 2014 at the latest

6D is an entry-level FF camera.

That also is a matter of fact, but doesn't impinge one way or another on what I said.

It contradicts your opinion that they have too much overlap for both to remain in the market.

No way would I consider replacing my 7D with a 6D.

That is your preference, to which you have every right, but there is no law that says that Canon has to cater for your personal preference.

I'm not that presumptious.  There are quite a few of us   They also don't have to cater to your personal opinion that they shouldn't make a replacement.

If you were right we'd see people here dumping their 7D in favor of the 6D. I don't see that happening.

Have you looked? What evidence have you or not that people have moved from 7D to 6D or thought of a 7D but went 6D instead? Please show me the evidence that says that no-one has done either of these things.

Four years after the release, the 7D is still going strong.

Not so much, stronger than its nearest competitor, the D300s, but that's not saying a great deal. If the market was so vibrant, one would have expected Canon to replace it after 3 years, like they usually do with their top end cameras. Cameras that came after the 7D and have been replaced include the 1DIV, 550D, 60D, 600D and 650D. There has to be some reason Canon thought it worth replacing all those models and not the 7D. The only model in the field that long was the 1DsIII, and they never replaced that.

-- hide signature --

Bob

The 1Ds was merged with the 1D; instead of keeping a 3rd sensor size in their DSLR line, they came up with the 1Dx.  The 7D isn't really in the same catagory.  There are still improvements Canon can make - still faster frame rate, dual memory cards, larger buffer, wifi, etc. that will separate it even more from the 70D.

Mark

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD elfroggio
MOD elfroggio
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD elfroggio
MOD elfroggio
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow