Depth of Field Preview feature ?

Started Jul 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 15,396
Re: It's the mechanics

sshoihet wrote:

Ideally, focusing should be done at the aperture the image will be shot at to prevent focus shift from changes in aperture. I rarely see that as a problem, I usually know what aperture I want to shoot at before entering LV and if I need to change it, it's hardly a big deal to leave and reenter LV. LV shooting makes up a very small part of the images I shoot, that's why I have a DSLR, for the optical viewfinder.

So, for the way you work, Nikon's live view doesn't cause a problem. But I shoot a lot of macro and copy work, where live view is a big help. A lot of the time, I'm stopped down to where the screen is dim or noisy. It's much better for me to focus at a wider aperture. And it is convenient to see if there's enough depth of field before I shoot.

That's one reason I use Canon for macro work.

The D800 and D4 have a second actuator to change the aperture while the mirror is up.

Praise be.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow